Saturday, September 21, 2013

Life+ Becoming a More Positive Person


{I'd like to put a disclaimer on this by saying that I'm in no way a professional. I'm not an expert on life. These are simply a few things that I've learned along the way and felt like putting in a blog post for me to go back and read someday. And if this possibly helps out someone who's having a rather difficult time, then I'd be completely honored. This is the same post that I wrote on my other blog, Kristazzi, so I'm not "stealing" anyone else's words, so to speak.}

The following are 5 simple things I've come up with to keep in mind on your journey to becoming a more positive person. Of course, this is based on my life experiences, as you'll see in some of the examples that I give. If you have any questions, comments, or even tips for me, feel free to contact me on any of the social media links towards the end.

Let's begin!

1. Always seek to improve yourself - I think one of the most important things you can do for yourself is to make sure you're always refining yourself, getting better, shaving off the bad bits and transforming what you have into something good. Not to suggest that people should become human-robot hybrids by my example, but much like phones and computers, we should be constantly checking for updates. One way you could do this is by asking yourself on a semi-regular basis (meaning once a week-once a month, however often you feel is necessary) "How could things be better? How could I, right now, make things better? How might my attitude need adjusting?" If you can think up legitimate answers to these questions, try and live out the answer.

I know that not even two months ago, I seemed like a completely different person than the me who's typing these words. I was far more cynical, I judged myself way too harshly, and it was overall not a great situation.

2. Remember that you aren't obligated to change for anyone but yourself - If your friends, peers, family members, etc... are pushing you to behave a certain way, that doesn't necessarily mean it's right for you. However, take their suggestions to heart. If you repeatedly hear something about yourself that you don't agree with or don't like hearing, take a moment and re-examine why those people could be saying this about you.

For me, people have constantly told me that I'm pessimistic, that I look like I'm angry most of the time, and I can be kind of harsh towards myself and other people. And for the longest time, I disagreed adamantly. I made excuses. I blamed other people for the way they perceived me, which (by the way) was completely wrong of me to do. So I took a step back and thought of why these people could be saying this about me. And, going with what I mentioned earlier, once I started to see it, I asked myself how I could improve myself to avoid this situation in the future.

3. Always be grateful - Remember that time when you went out of your way to do favors for people and they just went on with their lives as if it was no bother for you? Remember how that made you feel? Probably not great, was it? But can you think of any recent encounters where someone did you a favor and you acted the same way? Or are you so absorbed in your own life that you don't see the strings people pull for you?

Now, this one is sort of a two-part tip. 1- you don't want to be so wrapped up in your own life that you miss everything else that's happening around you. And because of this, 2- you want to be able to see when other people are truly being nice to you and helping you out. Because maybe if you see how other people care about you, you won't have such a negative self-image and you'd see how valuable and lovable you really are as a person.

4. Don't psych yourself out - The common misconception about "change" is that it's always dramatic, drastic, a complete 180 in 0.2 seconds. The reality is, change happens more gradually but surely, and the different things you're working on will happen at their own speed. Adjusting the way you see yourself might take quite a bit of time, but learning to observe the world and the people around you more closely might be the most natural thing in the world.

For me, my recent "upgrade," if you will, has felt rather seamless. Adjusting to this new way of thinking might take some more time for me, but I've noticed that my outlook on life has evolved into something I never thought it'd be capable of. And, looking back, it has been changing and adapting for some time - I just didn't realize it until now.

5. Finally, know that not everything about you will change - Just because you feel like a more positive, relaxed person, doesn't mean your core values will suddenly flip upside down. Whatever you hold true, the things you really want from life, the things you really admire in other people, etc... will most likely remain the same.

For example, there hasn't ever been a point in my life where I've wanted to have children. And even though I feel a lot more confident in myself and my life journey than I used to doesn't mean I feel differently about not wanting kids. And you may feel differently about this than I do; I expect that. But think about the things in your life that have remained constant. It might be your religion, your life goals, the list of characteristics you're looking for in a significant other, etc... You never have to compromise your values for anything, period - end of story - close the book.

And on that note, I'll wish you a good, healthy life. Again, I'm in no way a professional, so I'm inviting you to figure out this life-thing with me! If you have any comments, questions, or tips for me, feel free to contact me on any of the social media sites listed below.




Until next time, 
stay Life +

4 comments:

  1. I love these quote posts, a positive quote is always wonderful. Great post xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Actually, this comment gave me an idea for future posts! :)

      Delete
  2. ive been thinking about ways to improve my life in general. i feel that i had to make some big changes .

    1 was to realize that i have a voice and that it should be used that meant getting over the fear of posting comments i'll admit that i still do have some trouble by the time you see this post i will have maybe attempted to comment on your blog at least 5 times and failed.

    2nd making healthier decisions, i love food.. it doesn't mean that i have to eat everything its hard when you hear people closest to you say "give it to him he will finish it " i choose not to be that person anymore. Being that fluffy guy that, great friend that is all i ever seem to be to women that i'm interested in. i thought if i lost weight that i would be more than just that guy, that "Friend". Now my reasons for wanting to live a healthier life have changed. The reason i work so hard in a gym is not for anyone its for myself i want to live... When you start to notice friends and family die from their eating habits it makes you want to make a change...
    3rd Patience .....there are so many ways to apply this. and i am always finding new ways to apply it. I forgot who said "you can't gain control by losing it". Patience is truly a virtue, that i'm still trying to harness.

    that is basically my top 3 that i am working on in my life
    trying to be more life +
    thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost want to reply privately, but I'm not going to because this comment made my day! My apologies for not seeing this before today. I'm happy that you've taken something away from my ramblings.
    Yes, everyone has a voice and everyone should be heard when they have something positive to say. It may take some time being comfortable with it, but having confidence takes some time and energy. If you're deciding to change anything in your life, I always say make sure it's something you want and you're not doing this to please others. While that may get some people off your back for a while, it'll only make you miserable. But if it's what you truly want, then don't let anything get in your way. Be your own motivator and ask those around you to be supportive and encouraging as well.
    Thanks for this comment; it encouraged me to keep writing and really made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete