Sunday, October 6, 2013

Smooth Sailing

I just came across this picture floating around Tumblr.


So I did what any other good "tumbl-er" would do and I reblogged it. However, I added this little note to it: "But a smooth sea never killed a sailor either." 

Let me explain.

I mean this to be thought-provoking, not to say 'hey, if our lives were 100% easy, it wouldn't be all that bad either.' But think about it. Really think about it. "A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor, but a smooth sea never killed one either."

A lot of what we say and a lot of quotes out there affirm the notion that we are only shaped as individuals by the tough times in our lives - the times where we have to fight to get out of bed in the morning, fight to get through the day, and fight to get things done around the house before finally heading off to sleep and face the same routine the next day. I don't believe this to be true.

Unfortunately, I'm not here to say that better times are definitely up ahead. They very well might be, but there's no way I would know that. We may have to struggle quite a bit in our lives. It's just a fact of life for those of us who are unfortunate enough to be placed in those situations. 

But how much of our thinking is shaped around this notion - a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor - that only the difficult times shape our character? Do we sometimes, subconsciously, create drama for ourselves because our culture seems to advocate this - forgive me for saying - self-pity? If we just took a step back and re-evaluated a couple situations, how many of them might have resulted from us telling ourselves that we can not be happy or else...?

My point is this: if you get to be happy, enjoy it. You don't always have to be suffering. You can let yourself be happy - it's not the end of the world. You can find things in the world that make you happy. You can always learn just as much about life while truly being happy as when you're dealing with hardships. Smooth seas never killed a sailor either. Remember that.

Feel free to ask me questions, leave comments, or find me on any of the social media links below.



No comments:

Post a Comment